facebook

Union State, Visas Recognition And NATO. Highlights Of Makei And Lavrov Meeting

Belarus and Russia don’t have any relationship problems and will keep coordinating approaches in the international arena.

Such position was voiced by Foreign Minister of Belarus Vladimir Makei at a press conference on Monday after talks with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.

belarus russia makei lavrov meeting

Photo; mfa.gov.by

During the meeting, Vladimir Makei also invited his counterpart to the 2nd European Games in Minsk on 21-30 June. “We have absolutely no disagreements or problems.

We share common views on many pressing issues, which, unfortunately, don’t contribute to strengthening security but, on the contrary, lead to greater confrontation,” said Makei.

The minister noted that the parties agreed to instruct their departments to work out proposals for further integration within the framework of the Union State for 2020 and 2022.

Union State Treaty

Vladimir Makei noted that the revision of the Treaty on the Union State of Belarus and Russia is not required.

“The provisions of the Treaty on the Establishment of the Union State are strategic, they don’t require revision. Today one should probably talk about updating the action program on fulfilling the treaty.

We have a common understanding of 70% of proposals, and the remaining 30% is a matter of negotiations and discussions,” the minister concluded.

Russian Minister of Foreign Affairs expressed a similar view. “No one questions the provisions of the Treaty, but life has moved on in the last two decades.

Our practical steps need to be brought in line with the provisions of the treaty, as they are refracted in today’s reality,” Sergey Lavrov said.

Mutual recognition of visas

Lavrov noted that the Russi and Belarus are completing the procedures on the mutual recognition of visas which will be signed in the foreseeable future.

Earlier it was planned that the intergovernmental agreement between Belarus and Russia on the mutual recognition of visas will be signed in December last year in Brest.

However, the signing did not take place. The Belarusian side explained it by the need to conduct interstate procedures before signing the document.

The draft document provides that foreign citizens who have a Belarusian visa will be able to freely enter the Russian and vice versa, people with a Russian visa will be able to visit Belarus.

NATO at the borders

Moscow and Minsk are concerned about NATO’s increased activities near their borders, Sergey Lavrov said.

“We spoke about the problems of non-proliferation, arms control and expressed concern over NATO’s increased activities near our borders.”

Both diplomats share the view that “such steps only add to tensions in the Euro-Atlantic region.

“Russia and Belarus call on Western partners to show respect to the principles of equal and indivisible security, to follow their liabilities, including within the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe.

In short, our key goal is to get back to the basic principles of the Helsinki Final Act, to give them a second wind in the interests in order to overcome the credibility crisis,” Lavrov stressed.

The cooperation of the states in the UN, OSCE and other international organizations was also on the agenda.

Sources: TASS, TUT.BY

YOU MAY LIKE