If you’ve already been to Minsk most likely you have a selfie in Kastrychnitskaya Street in your collection! All these big colourful murals with urban installations appeared during the annual festival Vulica Brasil!
This time the festival started on 17 August and will end on 2 September with a big 24-hour carnival closing with dancing, street theater, cinema, visual arts, music, food, fashion market, sports and lectures!
The Brazilian and Belarusian artists not only paint the walls in different locations in Minsk during Vulica Brasil – they also create art objects that pave the way to smart transformations of the local urban space. Vulica Brasil started in 2014 thanks to Brazilian embassy workers – Mila Kotka and Danilo Costa, who persuaded Minsk City Executive Committee to bring monumental artworks into the city streets. About two dozen masterpieces were created during three previous festivals: from the buildings of the National Bank and Brazilian Embassy in Minsk to the largest mural in the world made by one artist!
Check the Festival Program to see what other extra activities Vulica Brasil suggests:
1) Meeting with the Brazilian artists on Friday, 25 August at 19:00 (16a, Kastrychnitskaya Str., Space).
2) Events in the Kastrychnickaya Str., on Saturday – Sunday, August 26-27.
3) Workshop with Brazilian architect Lourenso Gimenes “Green neighborhoods in the city: life among buildings” on Monday, 28 August from 10:00-18:00 (Kastrychnitskaya Str., 16a, Space).
4) Meeting with architects and urbanists on Tuesday, 29 August at 19:00 (16a, Kastrychnitskaya Str., Space).
5) Screening of the movie “Street River” and meeting with the directors and heroes on Wednesday, August 30 at 20:00 (9, Masherova Avenue, Cultural Center Korpus).
6) 24-hour carnival closing on 2 September from 12:00-24:00 (Kastrychnitskaya Str.).
Watch a bright documentary about the previous festival. Turn on the English subtitles and enjoy!
Front photo by Yulia Savich & Dmitry Tarasenko.